Table of ContentsDefinition / General
Cite this page: Leprosy. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/testisleprosy.html. Accessed April 23rd, 2017.
Definition / General
- Does not occur in U.S.
- Rarely presents with orchitis (Am J Clin Pathol 1980;73:712)
- Testicular involvement thought to be facilitated by lower temperature of scrotum
- Three phases of testicular involvement:
- Vascular phase: blood vessels show perivascular lymphocytic inflammation and interstitium is filled with macrophages containing mycobacteria
- Interstitial phase: endarteritis, Leydig cell clusters, interstitial fibrosis, histiocytes containing acid fast bacteria and reduced spermatogenesis
- Obliterative phase: dense fibrosis, no detectable tubules, reduced vessels, rare acid fast bacteria; associated with gynecomastia and infertility