Table of ContentsDefinition / General
Cite this page: Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/testisCAH.html. Accessed April 23rd, 2017.
Definition / General
- Autosomal recessive, due to various enzymatic defects that cause different patterns of synthesis of glucocortical, mineralocorticoid and sex hormone synthesis
- Genetic males have cryptorchidism, viable Wolffian duct structures, female or ambiguous genitalia, no Müllerian duct structures
- Testes resemble cryptorchid testes
- May have bilateral Leydig cell hyperplasia with deficiencies of 21-hydroxylase, 11β hydroxylase, 17α hydroxylase, 3β hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase
- Treat with corticosteroids or surgical excision of testes