Cite this page: Collagen. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/stainscollagen.html. Accessed July 22nd, 2017.
Definition / general
- Type I collagen: dermis, tendons and bone
- Type II collagen: cartilage
- Type III collagen: fetal skin, scars, arterial walls
- Type IV collagen: normal constituent of basement membrane surrounding noninvasive glandular epithelium; discontinuous or complete absence of basement membrane staining surrounding colonic adenocarcinoma (Am J Surg Pathol 2002;26:206)
Uses by pathologists
- Double immunostaining of type IV collagen with cytokeratin is useful to detect microinvasion in VIN or CIN (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2005;129:747)