Cite this page: Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/spleenTTP.html. Accessed March 28th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Often associated with splenomegaly
- Newborn with acute respiratory distress, marked jaundice and whole body purpuric rash (Case of the Week #403)
- Thrombi in arteries and arterioles without inflammation (90%)
- Also PAS+, diastase resistant hyaline subendothelial deposits of platelet and platelet-related material (100%), secondary germinal centers (67%), periarteriolar concentric fibrosis (58%), hemosiderin laden macrophages (92%), hemophagocytosis (83%), extramedullary hematopoiesis (42%)
- No blood lakes, no microaneurysms, no infarcts (Am J Surg Pathol 1990;14:223)