Small bowel (small intestine)
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 17 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Coccidian parasite that infects epithelial cells of small intestine
● Causes chronic diarrhea and acalculous cholecystitis in AIDS patients (Indian J Med Res 2011;134:878)
● Cysts in stool, biopsy (H&E or EM)
● 35 year old HIV+ man (Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2010;53:824)
● Cysts present in parasitophorous vacuole in lamina propria (Hum Pathol 2001;32:500)
● Ovoid developmental forms are identified in and beneath epithelial cells near villus tip
Isospora belli (20-30 Ám long by 10-19 Ám wide) - immature oocyst (Modified acid fast stain)
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Infectious disorders > Isospora belli
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).