Small bowel (small intestine)
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 18 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Protrusion of pouchlike, serosa-lined sac of peritoneum (hernia sac) through weakness or defect in wall of peritoneal cavity
● Usually inguinal and femoral canals, umbilicus and surgical scars
● Rarely around ligament of Trietz
● Viscera may protrude and become trapped in hernias, including bowel loops and omentum
● Complications: incarceration, strangulation, infarction
End of Small bowel (small intestine) > Obstruction > Hernias
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).