Skin-nontumor / Clinical Dermatology
Reviewer: Mowafak Hamodat MB.CH.B, MSc., FRCPC, Eastern Health, St. Johns (Canada) (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 7 November 2010, last major update September 2010
Copyright: (c) 2002-2010, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Diffuse, pruritic, erythematous macules and papules that usually occur 7-11 days (range, 2 days to 7 weeks) after routine smallpox vaccination
● Serious but uncommon complications of smallpox vaccination include eczema vaccinatum, vaccinia necrosum, generalized vaccinia and encephalitis (Centers for Disease Control)
● Less serious but more common complications include keloid, contact dermatitis, erythema multiforme, pityriasis rosea, granuloma annulare and vesicular spongiotic dermatitis with eosinophils (Arch Dermatol 2010;146:656)
Normal "robust" reaction
Hyperemic and indurated band extending from the vaccination site
● Smallpox vaccination: possible features include eczema vaccinatum, vaccinia necrosum, generalized vaccinia, keloid, contact dermatitis, erythema multiforme, pityriasis rosea, granuloma annulare and vesicular spongiotic dermatitis with eosinophils
● Smallpox infection (historical features-smallpox has now been eradicated): variable degree of hyperkeratosis and acanthosis, ballooning degeneration of keratinocytes, cytoplasmic eosinophilic inclusion bodies and dermal chronic inflammatory cell infiltrate
● Arch Pathol Lab Med 2004;128:1173, Am Fam Physician 2006;74:145)
End of Skin-nontumor / Clinical Dermatology > Infectious disorders > Smallpox vaccination
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).