Skin-nontumor / Clinical Dermatology
Reviewer: Mowafak Hamodat MB.CH.B, MSc., FRCPC, Memorial University of Newfoundland (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 24 August 2011, last major update August 2010
Copyright: (c) 2002-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Protects deeper tissues from injury, drying and invasion by foreign organisms (Eur J Dermatol 2002;12:390)
● Has important role in thermoregulation, limited role in excretion and absorption
● Absorbs ultraviolet light
● Has cosmetic function
● Metabolizes vitamin D
● Has epidermis (cuticle) containing adnexae, underlying dermis and subcutis
● Contains peripheral endings of sensory nerves
● Also called integument
Normal skin without and with pigment
End of Skin-nontumor / Clinical Dermatology > General > Skin-General
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).