Cite this page: Alopecia. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/skinnontumoralopecia.html. Accessed June 27th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Hair loss from head or body
- Causes include baldness (pattern alopecia or androgenic alopecia), chemotherapy, hairstyling or hair drying, trichotillomania (compulsive pulling of hair) or other medical disorders
- Adequate tissue sampling and appropriate laboratory processing, in combination with clinical information, provide the key to diagnosis (Histopathology 2010;56:24)
- Alopecia areata: sudden hair loss causing patches to appear on scalp or elsewhere
- Folliculitis decalvans: alopecia that involves scarring; redness, swelling and pustules around hair follicle, with subsequent follicular destruction and permanent hair loss