Reviewer: Adriana Handra-Luca, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 24 January 2013, last major update September 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● At least one section per 1 cm of tumor for large tumors, including tumor center and periphery
● Submit entire tumor if can do so in 5 sections or less
● Submit resection margins
● Save intervening levels on biopsies for special stains
● For neck dissections, should have 6 or more lymph nodes if selective dissection and 10 or more if modified radical neck dissection
Note also presence or absence of:
● Cartilage, calcific deposits
● Cystic change
● Extraglandular extension
● Localized / diffuse nature of tumor
● Margin involvement
● Solitary / multifocal tumor
End of Salivary glands > Miscellaneous > Grossing
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).