Cite this page: Ziadie, M. Distal villous hyperplasia (villous dysmaturity / delayed villous maturation). PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/placentavillousdysmaturity.html. Accessed December 12th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Abnormal villous maturation associated with diabetes
- Neonatal hepatitis should be suspected if pigment laden Hofbauer cells are present
- Placenta is usually large for gestational age
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Terminal villi may be hypervascular and edematous with reduced numbers of syncytial knots
- Trophoblast lacks normal syncytiotrophoblast