Reviewers: Mandolin Ziadie, M.D., (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 10 October 2011, last major update August 2011
Copyright: (c) 2003-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
Common Missed Diagnoses: (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2002;126:706)
● Hemorrhagic endovasculitis (84.6%)
● Fetal thrombotic vasculopathy (75%)
● Massive perivillous fibrin deposition (68.4%) and maternal floor infarction (66.7%)
● Retroplacental hemorrhage (60.6%)
● Intervillous thrombus (57.1%)
● Decidual angiopathy (33.3%)
● Placental infarction (25.4%)
● Acute chorioamnionitis (22.7%)
● Chronic villitis (21.7%)
Common Incorrect Diagnoses:
● Perivillous fibrin deposits or intervillous thrombi are often incorrectly diagnosed as infarction
End of Placenta > Misdiagnoses
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).