Cite this page: Childhood ovarian tumors. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/ovarytumorchildhood.html. Accessed April 29th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Most childhood ovarian tumors are benign (> 90%) and cystic; malignant tumors have favorable outcome with chemotherapy, even after recurrence (Am Surg 2008;74:1062)
- Usually present as unilateral mass without metastases (Pediatr Blood Cancer 2005;44:167)
- Of malignant tumors, germ cell tumors predominate, followed by sex-cord stromal (15%) and epithelial tumors (15%, Semin Pediatr Surg 2005;14:100)
- Mature cystic teratomas are common
- Excellent prognosis for germ cell tumors, even if malignant (Pediatr Blood Cancer 2006;46:459)