Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Case reports | Treatment | Gross images | Additional references
Cite this page: Islam, S. Torsion. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/ovarytorsion.html. Accessed December 14th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Rare; partial or complete rotation of ovarian vascular pedicle, causing obstruction to venous outflow and arterial inflow
- In children, ovary is often normal (Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2005;159:532)
- Presents with abdominal pain, patients need emergency ultrasound and laparoscopy (J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2008;21:201)
- Predisposing factors: large cyst, neoplasms (benign or malignant), pelvic inflammatory disease; also associated with in vitro fertilization
- Normal ovary in third trimester (J Med Case Reports 2008;2:378)