Cite this page: Mucor. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungnontumormucor.html. Accessed March 30th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Also known as zygomycosis or mucormycosis
- Ubiquitous fungi of class Zygomycetes, includes Mucor, Rhizopus, Absidia and Cunninghamella
- Opportunistic infection especially associated with diabetes; other predisposing factors are neutropenia, corticosteroid therapy, iron overload and mucocutaneous trauma
- Pulmonary and sinusoidal infection caused by inhaled spores or secondary to rhinocerebral mucormycosis
- 39 year old man with necrotizing pneumonia (University of Pittsburgh)
- Large, nonsepta hyphae with 90 degree angle branching and nonparallel walls, angioinvasive causing tissue necrosis and hemorrhage