Cite this page: Cryptosporidium. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungnontumorcryptosporidium.html. Accessed March 23rd, 2017.
Definition / General
- Waterborne protozoal infection that mostly infects intestinal epithelium causing diarrhea or malabsorption
- Often causes self limited illness in immunocompetent patients
- In HIV / AIDS, may spread to hepatobiliary tree or airways
- Highly active antiretroviral therapy / HAART, paromomycin and azithromycin may be useful (Int J STD AIDS 2005;16:515)
- Characteristic spores on luminal epithelial cells
- Mucosa with mild lymphocytic infiltrate