Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Case reports | Gross images | Microscopic (histologic) images
Cite this page: Bronchial atresia. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungnontumorbronchialatresia.html. Accessed December 13th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Portion of bronchial tree with normal branching pattern, but without any demonstrable connection to the central bronchial tree
- Congenital abnormality due to focal interruption of lobar, segmental or subsegmental bronchus with associated peripheral mucus impaction (bronchocele, mucocele) and hyperinflation of obstructed lung segment; most commonly affects apicoposterior segmental bronchus of left upper lobe, then segmental bronchi of right upper, middle and lower lobes
- Cause unknown, but appears to occur before birth
- Lobar bronchial atresia can mimic mainstem bronchial atresia on mid trimester ultrasound (Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2011;37:110)
- 22 year old woman with pneumothorax and bronchial atresia (Radiographics 2009;29:1531)