Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Case reports | Gross images | Microscopic (histologic) images
Cite this page: Jain, D. Carcinosarcoma. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/livertumorcarcinosarcoma.html. Accessed December 15th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Malignant tumor containing intimate mixture of carcinomatous (either hepatocellular carcinoma or cholangiocellular carcinoma) and sarcomatous elements; sarcomatous component may be chondrosarcomatous, fibrosarcoma, leiomyosarcomatous, osteosarcoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, undifferentiated (IARC: 8980 / 3 Carcinosarcoma, NOS [Accessed 30 November 2017])
- Also called "malignant mixed tumor"
- Predominantly older men
- Risk factors similar to HCC, including cirrhosis, hepatitis B infection
- Very poor prognosis due to sarcomatous component (Am J Surg Pathol 2007;31:817)
- 84 year old man whose tumor had components of adenocarcinoma and chondrosarcoma (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2000;124:888)