Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts - Tumor
Perivascular epithelioid cell tumor (PEComa)
Reviewers: Deepali Jain, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 9 January 2013, last major update February 2012
Copyright: (c) 2004-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Mesenchymal tumor with dual melanocytic and myoid differentiation
● Related tumors include angiomyolipoma, clear cell sugar tumor of lung, lymphangioleiomyomatosis
● Rarely associated with tuberous sclerosis complex
● More common in females
● Rare malignant cases with metastasis (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2006;130:1219)
● 13 year old girl with tumor in ligamentum teres hepatis (Am J Surg Pathol 2000;24:1295)
● Well-defined, tan-white homogenous cut surface, no hemorrhage, no necrosis
● Nests or sheets of polygonal or oval cells with clear/finely granular cytoplasm, moderate nuclear atypia
● Well-developed capillary network, occasional perivascular hyalinization of sinusoidal vessels
● No mitotic figures, no invasive growth
● Criteria for malignancy: size > 5 cm, infiltration into surrounding tissue, high nuclear grade and cellularity, mitotic index > 1 per 50 hpf, necrosis, and vascular invasion (Hum Pathol 2010;41:1)
● HMB45, MelanA/Mart1, microphthalmia transcription factor, PAS+ diastase sensitive, smooth muscle actin
● Cytokeratin, desmin, EMA, S100, CD34, CD68, CD99, ER, PR
Electron macroscopy description
● Numerous degenerated mitochondria, glycogen, thin filaments with focal densities, premelanosomes, subplasmalemmal densities
● Hepatocellular carcinoma, epithelioid angiomyolipoma
End of Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts - Tumor > Benign tumors > Perivascular epithelioid cell tumor (PEComa)
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).