Cite this page: Arora, K. Post bone marrow transplantation. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/liverpostBMT.html. Accessed December 14th, 2017.
- Shortly after donor marrow administration: weight gain, tenderness, edema, ascites
- Within first 30 days: fungal and CMV infection, veno-occlusive disease or nodular regenerative hyperplasia
- Delayed complication: focal nodular hyperplasia is frequent at median 6 years posttransplant in children (Bone Marrow Transplant 2009;43:127)
- Poor outcome likely if severe liver toxicity or severe liver dysfunction
- Frequent iron overload contributes to liver dysfunction (Bone Marrow Transplant 2008;42:461, Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004;16:157)
- Death due to septicemia, pneumonia, bleeding, multiorgan failure
- Elevated serum bilirubin, fall in urinary sodium excretion (Clin Transplant 2011;25:E552)