Cite this page: Sangle, N. Adefovir nephrotoxicity. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/kidneyadefovir.html. Accessed January 23rd, 2018.
Definition / general
- Antiretroviral agent used for HIV
- 10 mg daily dose may be associated with hypophosphatemia, elevated creatinine level and Fanconi syndrome (Wikipedia: Fanconi syndrome [Accessed 18 January 2018]), due to reversible proximal tubular toxicity (Expert Opin Drug Saf 2011;10:809, Am J Ther 2013;20:713)
- Causes severe acute degenerative changes in proximal tubules, possibly mediated by focal deficiency of cytochrome C oxidase (Hum Pathol 2001;32:734)
- 47 year old man taking 10 mg per day adefovir for chronic Hepatitis B who developed Fanconi syndrome (Gut Liver 2010;4:389)
Electron microscopy description
- Proximal tubular mitochondria are enlarged, dysmorphic and disoriented with reduced cristae