Drugs of interest to pathologists
Drugs related to surgical pathology
Author: Nat Pernick, M.D., PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. (see Reviewers/Authors page)
Revised: 3 May 2011, last major update April 2011
Copyright: (c) 2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● A monoclonal antibody that interferes with the
Approved by US Food and Drug Administration for:
● Adjuvant therapy for HER2 overexpressing node positive or node negative (ER/PR negative or with one high risk feature) breast carcinoma
● Metastatic breast carcinoma with HER2 overexpression
● Metastatic gastric carcinoma: in combination with cisplatin and capecitabine or 5-fluorouracil, for the treatment of patients with HER2 overexpressing metastatic gastric or gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma, who have not received prior treatment for metastatic disease
● Costs ~$70,000 for a course of treatment
Use for pathologists
● HER2 testing is obtained on breast carcinoma specimens because patients with HER2 overexpression are candidates for Trastuzumab therapy
● HEr2 testing is usually performed using a combination of immunohistochemistry and FISH (see HER2)
End of Drugs > Drugs related to surgical pathology > Trastuzumab
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).