Cite this page: Embryology. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/colonembryology.html. Accessed April 23rd, 2017.
Definition / General
- Primitive gut is divided into foregut, midgut, hindgut
- Midgut gives rise to cecum, ascending colon and right 75% of transverse colon (also distal duodenum to ileum)
- Hindgut develops into remainder of transverse colon to anorectal line
- During week 6 of fetal development, endodermal epithelium of gut tube proliferates and completely occludes the lumen
- Over the next two weeks, it vacuolates and recanalizes
- Maturation of haustra and tenia coli start from ascending colon and progress towards sigmoid colon (Early Hum Dev 2004;78:1)