Cite this page: Brainerd diarrhea. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/colonbrainerd.html. Accessed February 21st, 2017.
Definition / General
- Chronic watery diarrhea of unknown etiology with acute onset and long duration (Centers for Disease Control, Wikipedia)
- First case in 1983 in Brainerd, Minnesota (USA)
- Similar to epidemic infectious diarrhea, but symptoms usually last 4+ weeks, often years
- Most patients recover within 3 years or less
- Surface epithelial lymphocytosis (similar to lymphocytic colitis) with no architectural distortion, no degenerative changes, no thickened subepithelial collagen (Am J Surg Pathol 1996;20:1102)