Cite this page: Bowel preparation associated changes. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/colonbowelprep.html. Accessed May 26th, 2017.
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Reduced intracellular mucin, epithelial apoptosis and sloughing, increase in mitotic figures (Hum Pathol 1998;29:972, Cesk Patol 2011;47:130)
- May have erosion of superficial epithelium, consistent with clinical impression of aphthoid ulcer
- Also increased lymphocytes and neutrophils (Dis Colon Rectum 2006;49:109)
- Patchy mononuclear infiltration in upper part of lamina propria, increased epithelial cell proliferation of individual crypts, basal cryptitis (Cesk Patol 2010;46:37)
- Rarely lamina propria edema or extravasated red blood cells