Cite this page: Normal hemostasis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/coagulationnormalhemostasis.html. Accessed November 19th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Primary hemostasis: initial step of forming platelet plug to stop bleeding from damaged vessel
- Secondary hemostasis: platelet plug is reinforced by fibrin clot
- Then fibrin clot is stabilized by activated factor XIII, which cross-links fibrin strands
- Tertiary hemostasis: as fibrin clot is formed, plasmin is generated to break down the clot
- Fibrin clot may occur via intrinsic or extrinsic pathway or both; in vivo it occurs via a hybrid model
Diagrams / tables