Cite this page: Calcium stimulation test for calcitonin. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/chemistrycalciumstimulationcalcitonin.html. Accessed March 26th, 2017.
Definition / General
- A provocative test to expose C cell abnormalities, since it increases calcitonin at all stages of medullary thyroid carcinoma
- Has been replaced by genetic testing
- May be less sensitive than pentagastrin stimulation test
- Give 2.5 mg/kg of calcium gluconate over 30 seconds, collect blood at time 0, 1, 2 and 5 minutes to determine calcitonin levels
- Rise in calcitonin > 100 ng/L suggests early medullary thyroid carcinoma