Cite this page: T3 receptors. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/chemistryT3receptors.html. Accessed December 18th, 2017.
Definition / general
- 4 isoforms: Alpha1, Alpha2, Beta1, Beta2
- Alpha1, Alpha2 and Beta1 receptors are present in most tissue, bind T3 to promote protein synthesis
- Beta2 receptor is unique to anterior pituitary gland, hypothalamus and developing ear
- Mediates negative feedback of TSH (Mol Endocrinol 2005;19:1529)
- Mutations cause thyroid hormone resistance with varying degrees of hypothyroidism
- Alpha2 receptor is inhibitory