Cite this page: Traumatic neuroma. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cervixtraumaticneuroma.html. Accessed April 27th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Reparative lesion at site of traumatic injury of peripheral nerves
- Interruption in continuity of nerve causes wallerian degeneration (loss of axons in proximal stump and retraction of axons in distal segment), then exuberant regeneration of nerve and formation of mass of Schwann cells, axons and fibrous cells
- Rare complication of cone biopsy (Arch Pathol Lab Med 1989;113:945)
- Microneuromas present in 55% of hysterectomy patients, associated with childbirth (Histopathology 1996;28:153)
- Irregular gray area up to 2 cm near cone biopsy margin or scar
- Haphazard nerves within mature collagenous scar with entrapped smooth muscle