Cite this page: Cytology > Degeneration. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cervixcytologydegeneration.html. Accessed May 26th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Degenerative type changes due to delay in transfer of cells to the slide (air drying artifact), inflammation or atrophy
- More common on conventional than liquid based preparations
- Occasionally called retroplastic change
- Cytoplasm is lost and moth eaten with vacuolization
- Chromatin is clumped, hazy, smudged or indistinct
- Chromatin rim has variable thickness and irregular contours but no sharp angles of malignancy