Cite this page: CD230. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cdmarkerscd230.html. Accessed April 25th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Aka prion protein (“PRotein INfectious agent”)
- Mutations associated with Gerstmann-Straussler disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), familial fatal insomnia, which are neurodegenerative conditions transmissible by inoculation or inherited as autosomal dominant disorders
- Aberrant isoforms can act as an infectious agent in these disorders as well as in kuru and in scrapie in sheep
- Replication (infectivity) occurs as abnormal protein with conformational change recruits cellular prion and converts it into infective form with same conformational change
Positive Staining - Normal
- Neurons (nonpathogenic isoform)