Cite this page: Treatment effect - Cryoprobe. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/breastmalignantcryoprobe.html. Accessed November 22nd, 2017.
- Cryoprobe: uses cryotherapy to makes nonpalpable carcinomas well defined and palpable by creating an ice ball, leading to removal of less tissue (Am J Surg 2006;192:462)
- Alters tumor morphology making it difficult to grade tumor, distinguish DCIS and invasive tumor, and identify angiolymphatic invasion or mitotic figures (Am J Clin Pathol 2007;128:239)
- Alternative to excision of fibroadenomas (Radiology 2005;234:63)
- Normal breast parenchyma in cryozone shows dense fibrosis, fat necrosis, xanthogranulomatous reaction, endovascular fibrosis and hemorrhage (Cryobiology 2007;55:44)
- Causes reduction in ER / PR receptors, but does not affect Ki67 staining or margin evaluation
Microscopic (histologic) images
Images hosted on other servers: