Cite this page: Lymphoid hyperplasia. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://pathologyoutlines.com/topic/appendixlymphoidhyperplasia.html. Accessed March 23rd, 2017.
Definition / General
- Normal appendix is rich in lymphoid tissue
- Hyperplasia may be associated with acute appendicitis (uncertain if cause or effect)
- May be present at entrance to cecum
- Marked swelling and thickening of mucosa and submucosa, with virtual luminal obliteration
- Older patients also have plasma cells and eosinophils