Last revised 17 July 2013
The purpose of this website is to provide useful professional information to practicing pathologists and laboratory personnel, in 15 seconds or less.
Specific features for the pathologist community
- Access to the website is absolutely free. The website is entirely supported by advertising.
- The website pages are full-text searchable, either by using the search features of your browser, or the Search boxes on our Home page.
- PathologyOutlines.com does not require registration, and does not ask for personal information to gain access to the features of the website. Further, PathologyOutlines.com does not make any personal information available to advertisers.
- Special attention to text formatting makes the website easy to navigate, with a minimal number of clicks.
To learn how you can help support the website, click here.
- A regularly updated, comprehensive online textbook of surgical and clinical pathology, with extensive links to images (gross, microscopic, molecular), virtual slides and references. Chapters include clinical and surgical pathology topics, as well as separate listings for CD Markers and Immunohistochemical and other Stains. The Website Statistics page (click the button on the left side of the Home Page), lists for each chapter the date of the most recent update, the current number of pages (text only), and the number of image and reference links. We link only to images that do not require registration to view, and to virtual slides that do not require plugins. We also prefer references with free full text and no registration, which are listed in dark green. Our goal is to update the most popular chapters once a year, and other chapters every 2 years. The chapters are based on material listed under "Primary references" for each chapter. Newly updated chapters are reviewed independently by the Reviewer listed at the top of the chapter.
- A list of pathologist/PhD job ads, organized by location, with separate lists of recently posted jobs, part time or locums jobs, PhD jobs and open pathology residency slots. Job related advice from other pathologists is also posted on this page. We also list other laboratory job openings by location, by date most recently posted, and by job title.
- A regularly updated, extensive list of pathology related conferences, organized by date, with links to further information.
- A regularly updated, extensive list of pathology related fellowships, organized by subspecialty and by location, with links to further information.
- A regularly updated, extensive list of pathology related books, organized by subspecialty and author, with recently published titles, AFIP books and WHO tumor books listed separately. The books are also linked to published book reviews. Discounts are available from select publishers, as well as Amazon.com.
- Case of the week with images and references, by case number with and without diagnosis and by category (i.e. GI, hematopathology).
- Buyer's guide listing information about advertisers for pathology related products, including contact information.
- New products page, providing announcements about new products and services of interest to the pathology community from our advertisers.
- Email subscription service for Case of the Week, Pathologist/PhD jobs (biweekly), Other Laboratory jobs (biweekly), Fellowships (biweekly), updates about the website (monthly) and new books (monthly).
- The opportunity to advertise Jobs, Fellowships and Conferences for a one time, reasonable fee, with rapid postings.
- Non offensive advertisements from companies providing products and services to the pathology community.
As a PathologyOutlines.com customer, you should expect nothing less than the best possible service every time you deal with one of our representatives in person, by letter, on the telephone, via email or if you are simply a frequent visitor to our website. Our aim is to build a long-term relationship with you. The foundation of this relationship is our Service Commitment - to anticipate and exceed your expectations. Our Service Commitment sets out the standards that our customers can expect from PathologyOutlines.com and that we demand of ourselves.
When you call us:
A person is always available during business hours to answer phone calls.
We will attempt to return phone calls within a reasonable time.
We promise to contact people who we have met with if agreed to.
Our Email Standards:
We promise not to spam you.
We promise to return personal emails within a reasonable time if not spam.
We will NEVER sell your name.
Our Online Standards:
We do not allow popups.
We do not gather information on our visitors.
We have all of our contact information listed on our website.
We are honest about the nature of our organization.
This website, which began in August 2001, is owned and managed by Nat Pernick, M.D., an AP/CP board certified pathologist who has worked with computers since 1974. He welcomes your comments and suggestions about the website by telephone to 248/646-0325 or email to NatPernick@hotmail.com. Unfortunately, we cannot answer questions about your personal situation, specific medical conditions, research related issues, etc.
Articles about our website
June 2005, Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine: Talmon: "The Internet for pathologists: a simple schema for evaluating pathology-related Web sites and a catalog of sites useful for practicing pathologists";
Arch Pathol Lab Med 2005;129:742
(rates various websites, including ours)
September 2004, APIII conference, E-poster, Honorable Mention: Link expired.
July 2004, CAP Today, page 137 (by Seth Haber): "Several Web sites are devoted to the needs of pathologists in teaching, training, job seeking, and practice. One of the most useful I've found,
is an obvious labor of love by Nat Pernick, MD, of Bingham Farms, Mich., using the University of Iowa's Web site. It includes most of an updatable, 41-chapter online/outline textbook, with a lot of good illustrations, references, and links."
January 2004, Advances in Anatomic Pathology:
Patholgy and the Internet (PDF file), with permission of the publisher. Please click on the Advances'
for more information about this journal.
October 2002, APIII conference, E-Poster: Link expired.
Contact us for website related issues:
DO NOT contact us with personal questions about medical conditions, research, getting a job, etc.
Nat Pernick, M.D., President
30100 Telegraph Road, Suite 408
Bingham Farms, MI 48025 (USA)
Alternate email: NatPernick@gmail.com
End of About Us